Why Yin/Yang Yoga?

By Mama Bear , In , 12:33 PM

Cristina shares her personal yin/yang experience and inspiration for her upcoming workshop, Yin/Yang Yoga: A Complimentary Practice. 6/11 from 3:30 - 5pm. ($30 if you enroll by Saturday, June 4, $35 anytime after).

"The practice of yin/yang yoga helps us learn about stillness in movement and the flow in stillness." - Sarah Powers

I came to yoga as many people do, through an active vinyasa practice focusing on fitness. I found that as challenging asanas grew easier, the simpler ones were growing more difficult. Easy Seat was a pain in the lower back and hips. Seated Wide Legged Forward Fold? Forget about the folding bit; just wide legged was enough for me. In my effort to achieve balance, I had only become further out of balance as I strengthened muscles without giving attention to my joints. As the years passed, it only worsened. Then I discovered Yin Yoga. By taking my muscles out of the equation and focusing on the energy within my connective tissues and fascia, I discovered opening and flow within my joints I had never imagined. They became juicer and I could feel my Prana was better able to access and heal not only my joints, but also my other organs.

Inspired, I dug deeper and learned that Yin(passive) and Yang(active) practices complement each other. Energy, Prana, or Chi flows through channels throughout our body so we need to be juicy everywhere, hence the beauty of a Yin/Yang practice. Yin is practiced first to keep the muscles out of the equation. Yin takes you deeper into where you are, not only physically, but also mentally. Through longer holding of 3-5 minute floor postures, you learn what your edge is and how to be there without fighting it. When practiced following a Yin session, a Yang session requires less effort and the mind is at peace with wherever you are. You are able to safely express yourself energetically in your vinyasa practice as injuries are less likely; you find you don't push past your edge since you have already discovered it. Please join me on June 11 to explore this balance of surrender and effort and discover how it effects you and your practice!

1 comments:

Post a Comment