Midwifery Vs. OB Care.. thus far.

By lil omm , In , , 5:48 PM

This past week I have told a number of students and friends what my thoughts/experience on OB/GYN care vs. Midwifery care has bee...

a little background.. Saylor was born with an OB/GYN ( who was fabulous, Dr. Deena Kleinerman) at Sibley. It was a medicated birth and pretty typical as far as first labor and delivery goes. As for my prenatal care, I would say,  it was good.  We had our appointments, she knew my name and we had a somewhat personal relationship. She answered questions that I had and was a pro in the delivery room. Giving me lots of time( 3 hours!) to push lil Saylor out.

When I was pregnant with my 2nd, the first person I told was Whitney Pinger, midfwife extraordinaire.   I was 2 weeks pregnant, and knew she probably already had a wait list for my due date! I was introduced to Whitney first by my prenatal students in Gtown. I had many students who chose Whitney to deliver their babies. As time passed, Whitney joined forces when we started the Holistic Moms Network DC Chapter, and became a supporter of lil omm, just as I became a supporter of her newly formed WISDOM midwifery community/outreach group . A fabulous community of moms who had delivered with her and her midwives , promoting midwifery care. When Whitney moved to GW a year ago, I seriously considered delivering with her and as soon as I confirmed that I was pregnant , that's when I placed the call. It's pretty amazing to be in the hands of such a birthing power house in DC, and to learn from her. She has so much knowledge, confidence and experience as a mother of 5 herself. Her spirit and energy is all her own, and I adore her.

In my experience thus far, I'll write more ( birth story) once Milo is actually on the outside of me.. but  regardless, a midwife is more like a family member, an auntie, that experienced elder who guides you through tough times. This pregnancy, I have had my fair share of ups and downs and the whole time she will hold my hand, rub my baby, talk to him, look at me in the eyes and ask how I am. She talks to me about what I am eating,  ask how I am being supported, and engages with me as a WHOLE person, and not just as a short term patient. This model works well for me, as this pregnancy has seen ups and down in my personal and professional and pregnancy life, all things I have wanted to share with my midwife.

For those who don't know- this group of midwives at GW see women in DC for well visits - so if you are interested in this type of care for all your womanly needs.. you can see them without being pregnant. It's also my tip to any of my friends who WANT to have children.. is to get in with them now when you are not pregnant, and that can give you a better chance of delivering with them once you are pregnant. ( Current patients get priority ) I know that Whitney and this practice generally have a 9-10 month "wait list" meaning they are full as soon as people know they are pregnant. So I suggest you go to a meet the midwife at the hospital if you are considering having children and see if this feels right to you!

More to come on this topic after he arrives..

0 comments:

Post a Comment