My First Yoga Class: Dena Kahn

By Mama Bear , In , 3:53 PM

I really don't remember my very first Yoga class. I know it was a Power Yoga class when I was 23 years-old. At that time, I was jogging, spinning, and kickboxing along with almost daily gym workouts. Power Yoga was held at the gym at the perfect time for me on Sunday mornings and I thought it would further round out my routine. I remember doing plank poses, down dogs, chatturangas, side planks, and lots of strength-building moves but it really had no impact on me. I could take it or leave it each week. However, it did raise my awareness of Yoga and when I lived abroad the next year, I found myself reading ads for Yoga classes in Jerusalem but never taking any. Believe it or not, I also lived in Los Angeles for 4 years without taking one class. But, 5 1/2 years after my Power Yoga experience, I returned.

At that point, I was living in NYC. I had been hired to overhaul a school program and I was working 'round the clock. I was also living it up in NYC, taking advantage of everything I could squeeze in. By springtime, I was physically a mess. I had so much back pain and stiffness that I was bent-over,hobbling down the streets of the city. I needed to lie down or stand during meetings because sitting was very painful. I attended an auction for the preschool that fed into my school and I bid on 5-class pass for Yoga at a studio I had never heard of. I got it. It was meant to be!!!

The first time I walked into Namaste Yoga Studio, I was in love. It was on the second floor of a walk-up. It had two rooms. The small one in front was rented out to Integral Yoga. The large room in back was for Namaste. The room had wood floors, painted concrete walls and the most unbelievable glass-domed ceiling. Blocks and blankets and straps were stacked in the back corner. It was such a simple space. It was not like a spa. It was not like a gym. It was for Yoga, plain and simple. I remember exhaling deeply as I sat on my mat.

I went on a Friday afternoon. Lauren Hale was the teacher. I would later find out that she was ISHTA trained and founded and directs a dance company in NY. I was so tight (and tightly-wound) that just about every move hurt except savasana. My back felt 100 times better after that class. Lauren was so encouraging, supportive and funny. She has the most beautiful singing voice and would softly chant during savasana. I felt comfortable and safe in her class, even as a beginner. The following Sunday, I went to my next Yoga class but this time with Catherine. I almost left in the middle. It was so hard. I got angry and huffy during the class, cursing the teacher and myself in my head. At the end, I complained to the desk staff that I thought the teacher forgot this class was supposed to be accessible for anyone, not only advanced students. However, later that night, I noticed that I felt great. As my anger, frustration, and negative self-talk cleared, I vowed to get back to Catherine's class and to conquer it. Next class up, Priti Robyn Ross' class on the following Thursday. AHHHH! It was a breath of fresh air. Gentle and loving and supportive. I have never felt more graceful and grace-filled than in Priti's class. For the next month or so, I went to two of Lauren's classes a week and to Priti's class each week. Then, it was back to Catherine's class. Could I meet her challenge? Had I learned enough? Could I breathe and not get flustered? Yes!!! I would not say I conquered it at that point but I certainly met her challenge. I felt accomplished, strong, and proud.

That was it for me. Three classes (sometimes more) a week for the next three years: Lauren's moderate to vigorous class, Catherine's challenging class, and Priti's beautiful, grace-filled class. Each class had its impact. I was uncovering myself and traveling through my Yoga journey. Soon, I started practicing at home. I was one of those New Yorkers who carried her mat, journal, a hairband, and yoga pants with her everywhere, hoping to catch a class or some quiet time for reflection. I went to Yoga in Central Park, Yoga in Times Square, and free Yoga classes where I could find them but Namaste Yoga remained my home. The madness of my life cleared. The furious paced slowed. I was doing everything better and more calmly. I was becoming more of the person I wanted to be. I was happier than I had ever been.

Then, one day during class, Priti whispered in my ear, "Have you ever thought about teaching?". I hadn't. But, after she said that, I couldn't stop thinking about it. A little over a year later, I moved back home to DC and I completed my training at Kripalu with Priti as one of my training teachers. I went through 2 1/2 intense years of lifestyle transition and am now even happier than before, sharing Yoga with everyone I can.

Jai Bhagwan,
Dena

2 comments:

daurie said...

Wow, Dena! I had never heard this story before and had no idea that Priti had been such an influence on your decision to do a yoga teacher training. I'm so glad you did, or we never would have met!

Bren Murphy said...

Awesome - what a story on finding your calling! Teaching is a great way to give back.
Australian Yoga Directory

Post a Comment